Criminal Justice Reform
- Women are disproportionately victimized by gun violence – over half of women murdered with guns are killed by intimate partners or family members.
- We demand for criminal background checks for all gun purchases, including at gun shows and via the internet; a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines; a federal anti-gun-trafficking statute with real, hefty penalties to crack down on straw purchases.
- All states must reduce the number of people in jails and prisons and the sentences they serve.
- Savings from criminal justice reforms must be combined with investments in job training and subsidized employment services in order to provide the foundation necessary to help individuals and their families success prior to system involvement and upon reentry.
- We must reduce barriers to reentry including access to critical resources such as housing, employment, and public benefits and eliminate unfair fees, fines, and debt.